Welcome again to our annual Mudspike Christmas Flight! For our third year running, we will deliver packages, hopes, (beverages), and spread good will across the globe as we make our way from our homes to our target location. This year, our rally point is Christmas Island (the Australian territory) – landing at Christmas Island (YPXM). As with previous years, the rules are pretty loose – just get there before January 1st if you can! Conceived by longtime simmer Deacon, the Christmas Flight has given us the opportunity to come together as a community for a fun and laid back event surrounded by the spirit of goodwill that the holiday season often brings.
- Fly the sim of your choice (FSX, X-Plane, P3D).
- Fly any aircraft you like on your “mission” – fighter, transport, seaplane, helicopter – it’s up to you!
- Take off from the airport closest to your home location with a load of gifts.
- Fly to Christmas Island (YPXM) – CAUTION – there is another Christmas Island out there (Kiritimati) – don’t go to the wrong one!
- Encouraged to use real time weather to make things interesting.
- Fly as much of the route as you like, time accel if you want, or just do the takeoff and landing – there really are no rules – just have fun!
- Flights can be flown at any time up to New Year’s Day.
- Post your flight progress in THIS THREAD.
In the interest of being inclusive, your flight does not have to be a “Christmas” flight – instead, celebrate the New Year, or Hanukkah, Festivus, or whatever you feel represents the spirit of the event.
SkyVector.com – Great online general flight planning tool with maps and enroute charts (you’ll have to find individual country IAPs along your route though)
METAR/TAFS – Quick METAR/TAF information for many international airports
Global Winds – General wind patterns for the entire planet
Instrument Charts – Charts for Christmas Island – YPXM
We look forward to reading about everyone’s adventures, observations, and mishaps…! I’ll be starting my flight from the airport nearest me (KAKH – Gastonia, NC) and I’ve got some 9,200 nm to cover..so I’ll be getting started soon!
Chris “BeachAV8R” Frishmuth